Saturday, February 26, 2011

Loaded Potato Soup from Cooking Light

Sorry about not having a picture today. I promise it looks scrumptious!

Loaded Potato Soup

 Ingredients: 
 1 1/2 lbs Red Potatoes
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion
1 1/4 cups fat free, lower sodium chicken broth
3 Tbs all purpose flour
2 cups 1% milk (I didn't have any so I used 1 cup fat free and 1 cup half n half)
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
3 bacon slices (or if you like to live dangerously like me, you can use 10)
1/3 cup shredded cheese
4 tsp thinly sliced green onions

1. Pierce potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH 13 minutes or until tender. Cut in half; cool slightly.
2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes.Add broth. Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk; Add to pan with 1 1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, salt and pepper.
3. Arrange bacon on a paper towel on a microwave safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Crumble bacon.
4. Discard potato skins. (I just did the best I could, there were still some in mine and it was fine) Stick cooked potatoes into soup mixture and mash with a potato masher (ingenious, I know) Top with cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions. This Yields 4 servings, 1 1/4 cup serving.

We had just enough for 2 adults and 3 small kids (2 of which are picky and don't want to eat much) So double the recipe if you have more than 2 adults or kids who actually eat.


 Here's the nutrition info, if you're into that sort of thing:  Calories 325;Fat 11g; Protein 13g; Carbs 44g;    Fiber 3g

2 comments:

Rockwell5 said...

Hi Nicole!
Yummy! I love baked potato soup, and this recipe looks pretty easy! I am happy to have found your blog through facebook.
:) Rayann

Lost in Jello said...

Hey I need your email for my blog! Email me rhi4@me.com Thanks Awesome recipes :)